Monday, March 14, 2011

"I" AM JUST ENJOYING THE RIDE

An individual’s consciousness is a witness to his experiences. The conscious awareness chooses which experience the person is going to have. Thereafter his awareness just sits back and watches as the experience occurs. No effort needs to be made by me. My body just has the experience. “I” do nothing but watch the action. “I” say ‘I am going to the kitchen to make me a sandwich’, and my body just does it without any other input from me. “I” do not pull any strings; my legs pick me up from where I am sitting, walks me to the kitchen, and my hands make me a sandwich. If my body was just a puppet I would have to pull its strings to maneuver my arms, legs, neck, torso, etc in very careful, detailed and meticulous ways to get from point “A” to point ”B” to eventually get to the kitchen after arduous concentration and with great care. This is hard work! But I do no work whatsoever. None. My body parts just “know” exactly what to do; my legs, head, neck, torso, arms, hands and fingers are pre-programmed wonderfully to maneuver dexterously to accomplish almost any task I ask of them.

In fact when it comes to my body “I” am mostly an absentee landlord. It appears “I” don’t have to be a constant presence to direct most of the tasks that my body is involved in. For example, there are instances I jump in my car, turn on the ignition and don’t recall how I got to work! I have taken this route so often my body does not need me “present” to get me to work. “I” think: ‘If I leave now I should get to work by seven pm’. Then I look up, it is fifteen minutes before seven pm and I see my right hand removing the car keys from the ignition. I was not “present” for the whole six mile journey. After you “show” your body a few times how to do something it appears no longer to need you. All "I" do is nothing, except to sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment